Thursday, March 20, 2014

How about NaNo-WHOA-Mo?

Whoa indeed! I meant to post this two nights ago and was distracted by a) life, and b) rewatching Frozen. Not a good way to start a habit! At least I had this ready to go half an hour before bedtime...

As I mentioned in my last post, I am a big fan of NaNoWriMo. (That's the camp site, by the way, since April is the first session this year.) I've participated many times; I've won many times. Granted, most of my work from NaNo has been total CRAP, but nonetheless, it's hard to write 50,000 words in a month. It's the sort of thing that requires mettle, guts, and a little bit of bravery - especially if your life is busy enough.

Regardless, it's very rare that I don't enjoy a bout of NaNo. In fact, this will probably be my eighth try, hopefully my sixth win. Most times, NaNo is used to write a fifty-thousand word novel; however, I'm rebelling this time (as I think I've mentioned) in order to finish writing a novel I started last year: Project: Faith.

The easiest way to summarize the story is like this: in a country called the Domain of Heaven, there is a caste system of four classes: Angels, at the top, who act as protectors and government persons; Pious, who wear a symbol upon their brows marking themselves as worshippers of the government and God; ImPious, with bare brows and the view that the government is purely the government; and the Devils, the lowest of the low, the scoundrels that oppose the Angels.

But who are the real scoundrels?

(I don't own the image, I don't know the model, etc. This is just what I use as a frame of reference for what my characters even look like. A faceclaim, to use a popular term.)

Natasha Kameneva, whose likeness is based off of the model's above, was the daughter of a high-standing adviser and was, herself, an Angel. Where her father got press, she did as well, for she was to take over his job one day - until one day, she disappears from Cath, the capital, and runs away to join the Devils in their debauchery. Why? Nobody knows. The story told is that she was a troublemaker and a rebel, despite what the paparazzi saw, and the news afterwords is covered up by hushed whispers.

Natasha's story is what motivates the main story to begin - the reason why a girl named L'Fae Judian, another Angel, to follow the same path herself.

(Still don't own this one. Just another faceclaim. Now stop reading the fine print and read the post!)

L'Fae Judian was a shy, academically-struggling girl who worked for the Angel's Army as part of the Border Guard - that is, until she runs away from home one night. She arrives at the door to the Devils' Clubhouse and quickly asks for solace, simply expressing that she wished to protect those who she wished - for that, exactly, is the problem. The caste system stood as such: the Angels would protect the Pious, absolutely, but ignore the ImPious almost exclusively. That's what the Devils were for - to protect the ImPious, even at the expense of their reputation. L'Fae, however, has the power to sway the tide of peace between the Angels and Devils - including driving the groups straight to war.

So why did L'Fae leave? What did the Angels do to make her leave? And who is the woman that L'Fae followed after? The story concerns those points and more, quickly delving into how the lives of the Devils change and how fast one can fall in love with who had once been an enigma and an inspiration.

So that's what I'm going to be finishing, guys! I'll probably post a bunch of excerpts from the original piece as I start going through and plotting out the next parts of the story, most of which will probably be romance parts (since they're plot-significant, but not plot heavy, per se). And for what you might be thinking, yeah: it's a lesbian romance. I'm pretty sure that's all I need to say for you to guess who's going to be involved . . .

So that's what my next few weeks are going to start looking like! That, in and amongst other work . . . ugh. Maybe I need to go back to that food plate and dump out some of my meal, because I think I'm going to fill up way too fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment