Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Is it the Cursing, or the Sexuality?

I thought the sexuality thing was supposed to be getting easier. Instead, I feel like there's more that needs to be done than ever, although maybe that's more to do with my hyperawareness about the issue.

What am I going on about, you ask? This. Go ahead; read it. I think it's important that you do, because I really can't sum it up in my words - it's best explained in detail.

Done?

I can't say much about the issue right now, because I'm a little upset about it, but I did take advantage of the emails provided on the website in order to send an email to the school board. Of course, I talked about the sexuality thing. I agree with the writers of the article; it seems much more likely that the issue had to do with sexuality, not the cusses. Let's face it, most teenagers hear cusses every day from their family than they read in a single book.

Here's my real concern, though: as a school board, how can they discourage the reading of a book that would encourage and educate those that pick that same book up?

It seems to me that the school board has taken what is pretty clearly an issue book from their reading list for the reason, "It has a couple of swear words in it". Is that really all? Issue books can help readers identify and empathize with those who are deeply invested, personally, in those issues. It makes it easier to understand your best friend, or even yourself and your same-sex partner. Those issues, especially these days, are REALLY important in high school, where each year is another bumbling jog to figuring out who you are.

Why would you deny that to the people who need it most?

The other issue is that by taking the book off the list, they've merely ensured that people will read it. I mean, I'm considering RIGHT NOW looking up the book and reading it (because I may not have read it, but that doesn't mean I'm totally ignorant!). One of the things I've heard most often about banned books is that people are more likely to read banned books BECAUSE they are banned. Back in April, I was writing Project: Hope and filled out a survey about if it would be banned or not. Answer: Yes. Funnily enough, I was okay with that (it was banned for more than just sexuality. I do not write by the rules).

So, to summarize: I'm irked. I'm irked, and I'm irked because it both discourages the education and empathy towards LGBT* persons while also ensuring that everybody and their dog is about to pick up . . . which really means that the school board just shot itself in the metaphorical foot.

. . . I really hope the school board never gets their hands on this post, now, for saying that. But I want to be honest, and that's just what I think: taking it off the list was a bad idea, and it has a lot more potential for blowing up in their faces than just the scores of emails I'm sure they're getting.

Remind me never to work in education.

(BTW - I used lots of sources when I was talking to them. Check them out.)

ETA: I just remembered: in the link where I learned about this, I read about a couple of booksellers that were donating books to give to people to read, so that way this book could get around. INSTEAD, might I suggest buying a few copies? Let's support the writer, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment